[CQ-Contest] Optimum Keying Speed

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Optimum Keying Speed
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin)
Date: Thu May 29 07:33:26 1997
On Tuesday, May 27, 1997 14:42 PM, MarchandJohn[SMTP:jmarchand@ecrm.com] wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I've found over the years of contesting, the optimum keying speed for my
>callsign(s) -K1CGJ, K1RC- is 28-30 wpm., whether running QRP or
>I wont hesitate to crank it up to 32/34 or faster, for the good-fast
>stations,

>I'll crank it down to 5-10 too for the casual or less experienced op. who
>needs
>a helping hand. -I was there once myself, as we all were at one time or
>another.
>
>John  K1RC

John,
I have noticed the same thing.  However, I get easily
influenced by the big boys I am working and crank it
up to 34 only to run across a series of stations that
for one reason or another require me to drop to 28.

If I would just leave it alone on 28 or 30, I think my
rate would be much better...

I can't tell you the number of times I have run across
stations in SS/Sprint/WPX and found them with really
big numbers (anything bigger than my number is a
really big number to me) and they are ambling along
at 22-25 wpm..and they don't even speed up for
stations sending >30...fascinating...how do they do that?

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u