[CQ-Contest] More on cut numbers

Subject: [CQ-Contest] More on cut numbers
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Thu May 29 23:58:37 1997
IMHO, this brouhaha about cut numbers is NOT about rules. After all,
nobody objects when in CWSS K5ZD sends WMA, or K1AR sends NYLI, even
though the correct response is Western Massachusetts or New York Long
Island.

Cut numbers are merely an abbreviation of the required exchange, which is
not an issue with respect to other contest's rules so should not be an
rules issue here.

That said, I think the opposition really stems from the fact they are
confusing. I prefer to get serials with only the zeroes abbreviated to
Ts. UTT or ANTA -- or AUU for that matter -- just adds unnecesary mental
gymnastics to the process. After all, how much time does it really save
to do u instead of 2?

I think this cut numbers thing has flared up because were still on the
first radius of the learning curve. I can imagine that if cut numbers
continue, in a couple of years, we'll be wondering why we never adopted
them sooner.

That's my two cents, which is about all it's worth.

73 to all.

kelly taylor
ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca