[CQ-Contest] Field Day is a Joke...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Field Day is a Joke...
From: hansbrakob@juno.com (Hans Brakob)
Date: Mon Jun 30 22:59:36 1997
N4UK said:

>        Field day strayed away from the basic premise of
>emergency communications on a dime and became just another
>contest long ago.

Maybe in your part of town.

Our club field day setup is ready for deployment on a couple hours
notice, having been packed up, replenished, and stored after yesterdays
closing.  It's a 2A operation, including modern rigs, shelters, all
towers,
power and RF cable, antennas, all tagged, marked, and ready to go.
The core crew has been together for several years with little turnover,
plus we have a generous supply of other club members who are
conversant but not expert in our setup.  With guidance from the core
crew,
we can (and have) put the entire setup on the air within 4 hours of a
standing start.  Based on the Navy's ATCU idea of a nucleus crew
augmented with "familiar" help, our club still lives up to the original
intent and purpose of field day.  I  doubt we are the only example.

73, de Hans, K0HB

~~~
  A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man
  contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.
                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
~~~