[CQ-Contest] Re: Do away with signal reports.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Do away with signal reports.
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Thu Jun 5 05:23:25 1997
On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 21:43:47 -0400 (EDT), okanep@iol.ie (Paul O'Kane
EI5DI) wrote:

>It's self-evident that signal reports are meaningless in HF
>contests, because they are almost invariably 59(9).  As such,
>they simply waste time.
>I've already asked why couldn't we do away with signal reports and
>replace them with a serial in any contest that doesn't already have
>a serial?
Or how about requiring a TRUE signal report?  You'd only need two

1.  Anyone who sent the same report (599) to every station would be

2.  The report you log would have to match what the other guy sent.

A true signal report would be quite useful in evaluating one's station
over the course of a contest and a lot more interesting than a bunch
of serial numbers.

73, Bill W7TI