[CQ-Contest] Re: Azden HS03 headset

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Azden HS03 headset
From: ramirezk@emi.com (Ken N4UK)
Date: Sat Jun 28 11:34:59 1997
 Hi Bob, Contest reflector
         The Azden HS-03 Boom Mic/Headset falls somewhere in
between the Heil proset and the bigger Heil unit. It covers your
ears but doesn't swallow them up. They are VERY comfortable. In
the 3 years I have owned them they have not torn or broken.(and
I have dropped and yanked on them many times) The headset comes
supplied with a 1/4 inch phono plug for receive audio and a
1/8th inch plug for Mic audio. They also throw in an 8 pin mic
plug. All you have to do is make an adapter with the 8 pin plug
wired for your particular rig and an 1/8th inch phono JACK on
the other end. I also wired in an RCA phono jack for
PTT/footswitch. I believe this scheme follows the Heil scheme as
far as using the 1/8th inch phono plug for Mic audio.
          A caveat! I replaced the mic element with the Heil DX
element on both units. I already owned 2 Heil elements from the
old Heil lighweight units I owned years ago.(YUCK!) If you
already have the elements then you are in fine shape. If you
don't then you'll spend 30 bucks more for a Heil element. The
Azden element is ok but it is equivalent to the Heil standard
element. I like the extra punch of the Heil DX element.But 80.00
dollars total is still 50 bucks cheaper! Changing out the
element is a piece of cake!
 73 Ken N4UK

On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Bob Schreibmaier <k3ph@dxis.monroe.pa.us>
wrote:
>Ken,
>
>I saw your note on the Azden headphones.  Just one question,
>as I'm not familiar with them.  Is the earpiece big enough
>for the ear to fit inside?  The Heil Micro ProSet is unable
>to do this and the regular Heil ProSet (which is big enough)
>seems to have a habit of tearing right by the ear cushions.
>
>Oh yes, I wonder if there is any problem interfacing with
>Icom radios.  Make that two questions.  8^)
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>73,
>Bob
>
>--
>| Bob Schreibmaier K3PH  | "Pure" QRP is running 5 watts |
>| Kresgeville, PA 18333  | or less.  Antenna size has    |
>| k3ph@dxis.monroe.pa.us | nothing to do with it.        |

         73 Ken n4uk
      EM84xp South Carolina

         Mark your calendars! 12, 13 July 97