[CQ-Contest] Ideal transceiver

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ideal transceiver
From: gdo@aloft.micro.lucent.com (Glenn D. O'Donnell)
Date: Thu Jul 17 12:15:44 1997
> Dave, K1TTT wrote:
> > 18.  Computer control available for EVERYTHING.
> with ethernet tcp/ip access in addition to the serial port.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uh oh!  Now we're REALLY looking to get into the 21st century!  I'll have
to make sure my DHCP server is up and running before the CQWW!

Seriously, I agree that TCP/IP networks will play a big part in the future
of ham radio and contesting.  We already make heavy use of the Internet to
augment our hobby (this reflector, for example).  I agree with Dave about
the need to interface every aspect of the station to a REAL network, not
just some COM ports tied together.  This takes ham radio's use of Internet
technology to a whole new level.  Those who saw the Kachina XCVR at Dayton
witnessed the next step in this evolution of centering the station around
the computer.  They definitely have the right concept for future radios.
Look for MUCH more of this in the next few years.

I envision all intelligent components of the shack (hmm, does that include
the operator?) connecting together via Ethernet, each with its own IP
address and running network agents to communicate properly with all the
other components.  Just put a 10BaseT connector on the back of the XCVR
and include the proper software in the radio.  This is another argument
for the Kachina-like approach.  Let the computer handle the network
connection and the necessary software.  Software updates can be a breeze.

This concept can be expanded outside the shack over the Internet.  Contesters
can link together over the Internet and do all kinds of real-time checking
of dupes and busted calls based on the other guy's log.  The contest sponsor
can tie in and keep track of everyone while the contest is in progress.
Contest clubs can communicate even better than they do now via the cluster.
When the contest is over, all submissions will be completed automatically
as the contest progressed and the winners will be known immediately!

How's this for another one?  Quite the pie-in-the-sky thing, but clearly
possible now that technology has evolved far enough.

19. An option for full voice controlled remote operation (not just VOX).
    Imagine the control head of the rig integrated with a cordless Heil
    headset.  You control the rig using programmable voice commands.
    You can move about the house and continue the contest. You can even
    run to the john without missing a QSO!  Some of THOSE QSOs may sound
    a bit funny!  QSOs will be logged automatically while you are away
    from the operating position.  Think of the possibilities with such
    remote control!  Now, if we can only figure out how to continue to
    contest while sleeping.  In keeping with the Ethernet vision, this
    control "head" can use wireless Ethernet to communicate with the main
    transceiver and computer.  This way we maintain a standard for all
    communications, rather than yet another interface for the "head"set.

Again, this is all very futuristic but that is, after all, the focus of
this thread.  Besides, we have all the technology to do all of this
RIGHT NOW.  It's just a matter of someone with time and resources putting
it all together.

73 & thanks for the QSOs in the IARU.  It was a REAL blast!
    de Glenn, K3PP

PS to K1TTT:  I'm dying to try your Ethernet driver for CT as soon as
              I get time to play with it.

 -
 ---