[CQ-Contest] Re: Using left-right hand to key paddle

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Using left-right hand to key paddle
From: w9cf@ptolemy.la.asu.edu (Kevin E. Schmidt)
Date: Sun Jul 20 21:52:21 1997
N5KO <trey@contesting.com> wrote

>As far as I know, there is no technical reason for configuring your
>paddle to make dits with the thumb and dahs with the fingers.  I think
>it's just a matter of convention.

I think the original reason is that if you learn on a straight key,
then its easier to send faster with your fingers rather than your
thumb. When bugs were invented, it was easier to make fast clean
dashes with your fingers,  and leave the dots to your thumb.  Keyers
followed this since originally people learned on bugs before keyers.
Of course, I could be completely wrong.

To keep a contest theme: it may be my imagination, but it seems to me
that in S&P when I call using my bug, I get through first more often
than when I use a keyer/computer. However, in the last year I have
noticed more people slow down to my bug sending speed; this rarely
happened in years past.

73 Kevin w9cf
Kevin Schmidt w9cf@ptolemy.la.asu.edu
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-1504
(602) 965-8240
(602) 965-7954 (FAX)

 -
 ---