[CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes legends

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes legends
From: gdo@aloft.micro.lucent.com (Glenn D. O'Donnell)
Date: Thu Jul 10 10:02:21 1997
> Tom, K5RC writes:
>
> I'm not sure that I qualify as an SS legend, but I did make
> top ten several times and won CW once. I was also part of ...

I disagree Tom.  In my eyes, and in the eyes of MANY, you ARE a legend!

> In my opinion, what wins SS today is tenacity, location,
> signal, stamina and the ability to use the latest techno-toys
> to push the state of the art. It is not the same "gentleman's
> sport," nor is long standing call recognition a factor in the
> results.

I think call recognition has some effect but certainly not as much as
the other factors you noted.  The recognition factor is worse right now as
we are STILL trying to figure who used to be who before the vanity calls
turned everything upside down, HI!

As one of the little guys on the chaotic end of the pileup, I cannot claim
to be qualified as an authority on what makes a good contester.  That same
perspective, however, helps me identify those who I perceive as better
than the rest.  My perceptions usually agree with the results.

What do I perceive?  Number one, BIG signals!  RF obeys the laws of
physics.  Bigger almost always beats smaller on the S-meter.  He's not
a SS participant, but who among you hears ANYONE else when EA3OT parks
his monster signal on 20m?  A close number two, skill/tenacity!  I think
this separates the men from the boys (women from the girls?).  It makes
the guys like K3WW beat lesser beings in bigger stations.  I remember the
"What makes someone good" thread some time back.  Someone said the key
component of success is, "NEVER, EVER, GIVE UP!"  I agree!

It's too bad the "gentleman factor" has gone.  I hope we can revive it
a bit.  Granted, you gotta be agressive to win, but gee whiz, sometimes
we get a bit carried away.

73 from the little pistol trying to grow into a big gun someday,
        de Glenn, K3PP (N3BDA B4 vanity) - CU in IARU test!!

 -
 ---