[CQ-Contest] Contest Time Limits

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Time Limits
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue Jul 22 00:39:12 1997
I tend to agree with Bill, W4AN that time limits add another element to a
contest.  The ARRL SS has always (except for 1964 I think) had a time limit.
You won the contest by going full tilt whe propagation was good and being
off when things were slow.  24 out of 30 hours is just as complicated as 40
out of 73 hours when it was two weekends.

The SS can be won or lost (nationally, district, state, section..you fill in
the blank) by picking the right hours.

I am reluctant to add time limits to any other contests (CQ WPX has them and
several minor contests, too).  I think a mix is great.  The sign a the top
op is to be able sustain long run hours, know when to look for mults, and to
know propagation so to be off the air (even in contests with no limits like
the CQ WW or ARRL DX).

If you know and excell at these points there is no luck.  If you don't then
its "ALL" luck....and novice contesters who later become good contesters
generally have "good" luck!

Dave K4JRB

 -
 ---