[CQ-Contest] ARRL Board Action on 160 and 2 meters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Board Action on 160 and 2 meters
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Fri Jul 25 14:23:15 1997
The ARRL Board will take no action on 160 segmentation until after WRC 99.
I discussed this with Frank Butler, W4RH and we agreed until the band is
more available world wide that any suggested CW/phone segmentation was
unlikely even at the gentleman's (IARU band plan)level.  The FCC is unlikely
to add band segments for the USA either.  Frank feels the FCC is more
inclined to do nothing.

However, for those in the USA the Board did ask all states to adhere to the
ARRL band plan.  This was brought to ARRL's attention due to the conflict of
a repeater and the SEDXC Dx Tip off frequency on 147.5.  A new repeater came
up on 147.495 (input) and our (at that time) newly install "DX Alert" on a
300W brick to a high antenna wiped out the repeater.  Now the ARRL is asking
for support for simplex frequencies in every state per the ARRL Band Plan
(which is a gentleman's plan) just like we are talking about for 160.
According to some this is even becoming a problem in some areas as repeaters
tread on Packet and SSB frequencies.

Dave K4JRB
CQ WW 160 Director and Assistant ARRL Director SE Division