[CQ-Contest] Legends, SS and otherwise

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Legends, SS and otherwise
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Fri Jul 11 07:59:40 1997
   I will always remember being called in the 1953 CW SS by W4KFC, in the 80m
   novice band - I was KN2EIU at the time.  That treasured QSO inspired me to
   travel along the contest trail, that I still hobble down.  Nice to read
   today's reminiscing from the old gang and the semi-old gang!

Speaking of legends, it's only fitting that N6RO would be the guy who
would send me diving into the files for the "old" WN4KKN novice
Sweepstakes log from 1974.  Hmmm.  Of course old gang and semi-old
gang are relative terms.  I recall that when KR0Y and I were in high
school, we used to regard K5ZD and K3LR as old guys.

The lions share of my 168 claimed QSOs were made on 40 meters.  This
was back when people used to try to work novices in the CW SS.  Well,
maybe that's not exactly the way to put it.  I still *try* to work
novices, it's just that one of the requirements to work a novice is to
actually *hear* one during the contest, an event which hasn't
transpired for me in many trips to the novice band in recent years
during the CW SS.

Looking at the logs scribbled by my 11-year-old hand I see a few guys
who made a nice score once or twice in the contest.

K5LZJ (tee hee, this is a novice log, remember?)
WA7NIN
K4GSU
W7RM
W6DGH, was N6TR the guest op here?
KH6RS, was this K1GQ?  (who says you can't make the top ten from KH6?)
WB2OEU (who says you can't make the top ten on phone from NY, over and over?)
KP4EAJ

But wait, there's more.  I wish I could remember the old vs new calls.
If I could, I would list many others.  K6VNX, WA1STN (K1TN), K0DEQ,
WN9PIR (now AJ9C, where's he these days?), W6RR, W5RUB (W5XX), W8SH,
VE4VV, W7LR, K7NHV, W7ZMD.

The most thrilling moment of the weekend was being called by K4BAI,
the first contester I met after getting my license.  He had driven all
the way from Georgia to Alabama earlier in the year to attend a
hamfest in my town, which qualified him as an Exotic Multiplier[tm].

Whoops.  Gotta run.  The QCWA is knocking on the door.

--Trey, N5KO

 -
 ---