[CQ-Contest] What's in a sentence?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] What's in a sentence?
From: n6ig@netcom.com (Jim Pratt)
Date: Tue Jul 15 14:44:46 1997
On Mon, 14 Jul 1997 15:46:21 -0700 (PDT) Jim Pratt <n6ig@netcom.com>
writes:
>On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Richard J Norton wrote:
>
>> 1) Should QRP and/or low-power category entrants call stations using
>> high-power, and ask them to listen for their QRP/low-power signal?
>
>Of course they should call high power stations!
>73, Jim  N6IG

The English language is an interesting thing, is it not?  I read the
sentence above as:

"Should stations in the QRP class call stations who are operating in the
non-QRP class..."

I answered "of course they should call high power stations", thinking
that a ridiculous question.

Of course, the esteemed Mr. Norton meant the sentence to be read:

"Should stations in the QRP class increase their power above the limits
of the QRP class to call a station, then reduce their power to QRP level
once the station being called has answered."  (Or words to that effect...)

To that question, I answer "absolutely not".

73, Jim  N6IG

 -
 ---