[CQ-Contest] QQ

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QQ
From: utahfolk@konnections.com (utahfolk@konnections.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 06:42:17 1997
My son's wife, now a Techer, observed years ago that it seemed to her
that all we
 were interested in is "Where are you?" and "How am I coming in?" ...
BYE! Indeed!
 RIGHT ON! Contest Time!

 I have seldom had much interest at all in someone's dog, ailment,
weather, or
 other whatevers.  I've always much rather find out how conditions, the
ionosphere,
 and the station are performing - the technical side of it all .... so:
"Where are
 you?" and "How am I comin' in?  ... TU, GOODBYE!  If I really want to
talk to
 someone, I can always call them on the phone or egrammum these days.
Nevertheless,
 even with this approach I do have many friends on the music (cw) mode
and I do rag
 chew with them for hours on end, at times.

 It has thus always frustrated me to call CQ and have to go thru all the
hello -
 gooeybyes for ten minutes before I can find another "Whar r u?  How's
my sig? ...
 blah blah blah .... GOODBYE!

 For the past six months or so I have much enjoyed a new found fun, a
simple
 solution to the gooeybye problem and one I now toss out to those of you
who
 are my fellow contesters in particular .... Instead of calling CQ, call
QQ.
 QQ = Quick Qso!  Goes something like this: QQ QQ QQ de CALL QQ Quick
Qso BK, then
 someone savvy pops you his KALL and you return KALL RST QTH NAME BK and
he will
 usually return with same info and format and you respond R TU for QQ 73
de CALL QQ BK
 and you are in the roll for another one!  A QSO/Contest RUN!  The
format can
 fit your style and choice, if 5NN (NN stands for NO NEWS! .... meanin'
no signal
 report is intended/given/or of any value whatsoever to me! -- RSTer's
take note!)
 is your sytle, then 5NN is it. Do it!  Make the QQ run the way you
want!

 Does it work?  ABSOLUTELY!  The DX boys have the rate record so far: 75
QQ/hour,
 running PUP (pileup) style and at home I have had many runs at 60
QQ/hour or so.
 So, a CONTEST RUN EVERYDAY, anyday ... let the QQ's roll!

 There is also an added feature which some of you will find, as have I,
a large
 chuckle and good QRM practice ... the DUH boys ... who pop up on
frequency with
 things like .... "Yer keyer is busted, LID", and even a live "Quack
Quack" ... clearly
 a phoney op playing in the music (cw) bands.  Even tho you end the call
with
 a clear ...QQ Quick Qso... there are some who come on with the
predictable ...
 "What's QQ?"  There are also the very astute slim Slim's who really QQ
with
 sending 5NN only, no call, no nuttin' else .... but the best of all was
one very
 choice lid who QRM's, key down, VVVVV, etc., as best he could (you
NEVER hear
 these CB mental cases of course) and after a while finally gave up and
uttered
 .. DISGRACE TO AMATEUR RADIO ... boy, sure would love to have his QSL
card nailed
 to the outhouse wall ... but alas, like all his buddies, he didn't have
a call
 sign at all ... TSK TSK!

 So, I invite you, join in the fun, instantiate QQ as a regular on the
ham bands,
 invite contest RUNS!, and maybe you too can become one of the digraced
of the
 ion clouds! .... de Dave (xW0MHS) @ KD7AEE.