[CQ-Contest] 10 Min rule for NA QSO party

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 10 Min rule for NA QSO party
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Mon Aug 18 18:49:17 1997
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Fatchett, Mike wrote:

> This is the first time I have entered a multi-transmitter contest.  I
> was curious why the Multi stations have a 10 minute rule.  If I had to
> guess it was to keep the true multi-multi stations out of this class.

Exactly.  My idea when we devised the rules was to make enforcement of
the rules a no brainer.  The 10 minute rule or the new QSY rule for the
ARRL DX contest are no brainers.  The guys checking the logs can easily
tell if the rules are being followed for the most part.

> K6LL asked me to QSY to 10m in the SSB test.  I was very hesitant.  He
> can work me and go off to some other band while I have to sit for 10
> minutes.  Luckily I did find a couple of other stations to work.  I did
> turn some people down on moving to 160.

Welcome to Multi-Op.

> I think 10 minutes is way too long.  Why should I be penalized while
> nobody else is.  It would have been nice to be able to take a local and
> run him through the bands like a single op can.  How about a 5 minute
> rule?  How about no rule?

How about no rule?  Think this through Mike.  If there is no rule, then
W3LPL, N2RM, K3LR, etc are the only ones capable of competing in this
class.  As it stands now, a station like WX0B can compete with a station
like W3LPL because LPL can only have one of his 6 stations going at one
time.

The NAQP is designed with the beginner in mind.  Not the super station.
I feel guilty operating this contest from my new station, but I love the
contest so much that I cant stay away.  The 100w rule and the 2
transmitter rule were made so that people with less than super stations
could feel more comfortable operating against guys with bigger stations.
Personally I feel it was a great success.  This is the only contest I've
operated where I have averaged over 100 QSO's per hour for the entire
contest.

This is a great contest with great rules.  Of course I'm a little biased
since N2NC, K8CC, and myself wrote the rules.  Maybe K5ZD or N5KO were in
on it too.  I forget now.

73

Bill, W4AN