[CQ-Contest] Ameritron AL1500x efficiency ?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ameritron AL1500x efficiency ?
From: chris.tran@zetnet.co.uk (Chris W Tran)
Date: Tue Sep 30 20:28:00 1997
Tuesday 30th September 1997
Hello all
One of our contest group - Keith Kerr GM4YXI - has just purchased
an Ameritron AL1500x and there appears to be a problem with
efficiency - specifically on 20m.

On 80m, 40m and 15m, efficiency = 54 % approx.
On 20m, efficiency = 42 % approx.

We've followed the manufacturer's tune-up method carefully,
and also tried numerous combinations of loading, drive level etc.,
but cannot improve significantly on this figure of 42 %
I think the inefficiency could be caused by :-
Design fault - e.g. poor tank cct. design or poor plate choke
design, etc.
Manufacturing fault - tapping point in wrong place, etc.
We've looked at the plate circuitry carefully and none of
these reasons seem possible.

Any ideas ?

Keith is contacting Ameritron for their suggestions of course.
Please reply to :-
<chris.tran@zetnet.co.uk>    or    <k.kerr@abdn.ac.uk>

Thanks - 73      Chris Tran GM3WOJ
North of Scotland Contest Group GM2MP/GM6V/GM7V
Please work GM7V Multi-Multi in CQ WW SSB 1997 !