[CQ-Contest] Filter combos for CW contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Filter combos for CW contesting
From: VK1FF@contesting.com (VK1FF/WB2FFY Jim Muller)
Date: Fri Sep 19 23:21:46 1997
I find myself switching filters depending on the situation, but generally
prefer the 250Hz filter.   The reason I like the 250Hz filter is because
I primarily operate on the low end of 40m which is usually packed with
wall-to-wall 10 over US stations calling CQ.   The only way to find a
"clear" spot to operate is to switch on the 250Hz filter and wedge my way
in.

I've found most stations are pretty good about zero beating on freq so
most signals fall within 250Hz window.   However, for the stations
who aren't zero beat I use the RIT control but only after I've worked
everyone calling me on the frequency where I'm listening.  Generally I
stick with the 250Hz filter until calls drop off then open up.

I usually S&P without a filter, unless the band is extremely crowded.

73, Jim VK1FF/WB2FFY

Internet Email:        VK1FF@contesting.com
Amateur Radio Packet:  VK1FF@VK1KCM.ACT.AUS.OC