[CQ-Contest] Amplifier For Contest Use-AL1200 and heat.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Amplifier For Contest Use-AL1200 and heat.
From: KRAMIREZ@intermedia.com (Ramirez, Kenneth EXCH)
Date: Sun Oct 12 10:29:00 1997
I use an AL1200 and can tell you that you'll need to duct away the
heat out of the shack. The cooling design, IMO, is not very good.
My shack went from 70 degrees to 84 degrees in 90 minutes with my amp
blowing the heat into the room. I spent this past Saturday adding a
dryer duct system with a muffin fan at the end of the duct attached to
a window. Now the shack temp. remains fairly stable though the amp
cabinet itself still gets hot to the touch. I may have to figure out a
way to add a chimney to direct the heat straight out of the exhaust
vent instead of it bouncing around inside the RF compartment.  Other
than the heat problem the amp is a solid performer. 73 Ken N4UK