[CQ-Contest] OFFICIAL CQWW: how to submit your log

Subject: [CQ-Contest] OFFICIAL CQWW: how to submit your log
From: DougKR2Q@aol.com (DougKR2Q@aol.com)
Date: Thu Oct 23 23:48:36 1997
An open letter from the CQWW Contest Committee

NOTE: [You are encouraged to duplicate and repost this message.
 It may be duplicated in PRINT, and it may be posted to any Web Page.
 We encourage you to be creative in passing it along to as many
 other interested parties as possible.  Language translation will
 be especially appreciated!]

SENDING IN YOUR LOG

1996 was the first year that we accepted electronically submitted (Email)
logs, and we are very pleased with the results.  We received 1224 individual
log files on SSB and about 1100 on CW!  However, 2000 logs (both modes),
which were generated by computer, were submitted on paper only.

PLEASE send a disk or Email entry if you use a computer.  It is much easier
for you to send us a disk or Email type submission than to send us paper.
So PLEASE, if you use a computer to do your log, send us the FILES, not the
paper.  E-mailing is so easy and so inexpensive, there is no reason not to
use it.  Even if your log has less than 100 contacts, if you used contest
software of any type, send us the file electronically!  Our goal is to have
every entrant who used a computer to do their logging, send in a log file.

HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR LOG

This year we are changing the preferred type of file which we would like
to receive.  We greatly prefer to receive a plain text, ASCII file of your
log.  Acceptable ASCII formats include: CT software=yourcall.ALL; TR
software=yourcall.DAT; Other fixed-column ASCII formats are acceptable.  In
case you're not sure just what this is, it is the file that LOOKS exactly
like a printed log; it has lots of columns including one for DATE, TIME, QSO
NUMBER BY BAND, CALLSIGN, FREQ, EXCHANGE, NEW MULTS, POINTS, etc., and each
qso takes up one line.

We require TWO files for every electronic submission:
1. A plain-text ASCII summary sheet, and
2. Your actual log of callsigns, bands, times, etc.

Be sure to NAME your files using your callsign.  The summary sheet can be
named: YOURCALL.SUM while the log itself can be named: YOURCALL.all or
YOURCALL.dat, etc., depending on the type of file you send.  Be sure to
actually use your callsign and not the words, "yourcall."  Eg: If your call
is XZ1A, you would name your file XZ1A.all or XZ1A.dat.  It is important to
keep the correct SUFFIX (after the "dot").  CT uses .all and TR uses .dat.
All types of ASCII files can be sent using regular Email.

If you want to Email in your binary (bin) file instead of your ASCII file,
you need to encode it first.  We will accept encoded binary files.
All popular encoding schemes are acceptable to Email your file, including
UUencode, Base64, and BinHex.  Acceptable binary formats are
NA: yourcall.QDF; CT: yourcall.bin. If this is too confusing and you have a
question, send your Email questions to:

questions@cqww.com

REMEMBER, we PREFER to receive the ASCII output files, NOT the binary files.

For ALL types of submissions, be sure to put the MODE and the station
CALLSIGN as the SUBJECT for each entry.  When you send in your log, it
should automatically be acknowledged by the server. If we have trouble
reading your file, we may ask you to send a disk.

Submit your 1997 CQWW SSB log files to:       ssb@cqww.com
Submit your 1997 CQWW CW log files to:         cw@cqww.com

Submit any questions, at any time, to:  questions@cqww.com

Remember...

1) We prefer ASCII files, NOT binary files.
2) Name the file using YOUR CALLSIGN!  (Eg: KR2Q.all or KR2Q.dat or KR2Q.bin)
3) Send in a SUMMARY SHEET file (yourcall.sum) along with #2 (above).
4) Use YOUR CALLSIGN and MODE (cw or ssb) for the SUBJECT (Eg.: KR2Q SSB).
5) Ssb and cw logs go to SEPARATE addresses (see above)! Do NOT send both
   cw and ssb together!
6) The E-domain [cqww.com] is for the CQWW DX contest only (Oct/Nov)...not
   the WPX, not the CQ-160, and not any ARRL contests.

You may forward any questions to me (KR2Q) at:

DougKR2Q@aol.com

Or, you may directly contact the Contest Director (K3EST) at:
K3EST@netcom.com

de Doug (KR2Q) for the CQWW Contest Committee