[CQ-Contest] Rain is one thing...but, er, ah...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Rain is one thing...but, er, ah...
From: albraun@socket.net (Alan Braun)
Date: Thu Oct 30 02:20:58 1997
In <199710290035.TAA24640@transfer.usit.net>, on 10/28/97
   at 07:35 PM, Scott Robbins <srobbins@usit.net> said:

>At 02:31 PM 10/27/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>

>>On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Bill Fisher - W4AN wrote:
>>
>>> On a slightly different subject...  I had several instances of very close
>>> lightning strikes this weekend.  It was interesting to watch the radios
>>> after the strikes.  The S-meter would deflect to full scale and slowly
>>> fall back to the left as the charge disapated.
>>
>>My weird story...lightning would trip my VOX..not the thunder, but the
>>lightning.  The VOX would trip with the flash, then the thunder would
>>happen a second or two later. I probably should have shut down.
>>
>>-Larry K4AB

>Excuse me for pointing out the obvious, but I think being on the air
>during an active nearby lightning storm can present a significant health
>hazard.

>Scott Robbins, W4PA

Not to mention the risk of having all your equipment turned to toast,
but then again, if you're operating it at the time you'll be toast
too, and there won't be anyone around who cares to send in your
contest score!  I know some people are rabid contesters but this is
a bit much.

Alan Braun NS0B

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socket.net         *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B@N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *