[CQ-Contest] Re: [DX] VK0NARE

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [DX] VK0NARE
From: kl7y@Alaska.NET (Dan Robbins)
Date: Sat Nov 1 10:05:14 1997
At 08:40 PM 11/1/97 +1100, you wrote:
>The correct callsign is VK0ANARE.
>Work him on 14.185 0035Z in CQWW SSB
>Nick VK2ICV
>

>Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>>
>> So, Macquarie was supposed to be active during the CQWW SSB contest.  KC1F
>> (20M op at KC1XX) reported hearing W3LPL work them.  I saw no other
>> reports.  Exactly when were they on, if at all?

Well, I certainly heard them on 20 m (I was one of the ops at KH7R), but
someone was taking a list for VK0ANARE and then feeding him calls.  I could
not hear the list taker except briefly as he was about 7 S units weaker than
the VK0.  The VK0 would not answer me.  He seemed to have no trouble with
anybody on the list (all JAs when I listened) giving them all excellent
reports.  This went on for quite some time and was one of the stupidest
things I ever heard in a contest.

Another stupid thing was hearing K1NG calling for long periods in the DX
phone portion of 40 meters, despite numerous policemen issuing caustic
verbal citations.  Since this whole scenario seemed kind of phoney, I
assumed it was not the real K1NG, but merely a poor imitation.

                                                Dan KL7Y