[CQ-Contest] Allow Packet for everyone!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Allow Packet for everyone!
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Sun Nov 2 00:44:35 1997
Larry Johnson wrote:

> Well, I have to throw in my 2 cents worth, couldn't hold back any more.
> First, there's definitely more of a sense of accomplishment without
>packet.
> And I've found that not operating with packet certainly increases my
> listening skills. Secondly, as for the DX that don't id, I figure
>that's
> their problem. I'll listen for a few seconds, and if they don't id, I
>move on. I figure it's their loss, not mine

Hi Larry. I have to agree with you 100 percent!
In the December 1996 CQ magazine John Dorr, K1AR, put it well. And I
quote "How about our dear friend packet radio?  It's my hope that packet
radio systems will fill the need for which they were designed.  During
1997 lets use packet when we should and turn it off when our category
disallows such use.  Lets not forget that our ears are the vehicle for
copying callsigns correctly, not what someone has typed into their
computer for you to work.  And most important, lets not forget how to
find and work DX on our own.  Packet is a tremendous asset to contesting.
 It can also make one lazy and dependent on others.  That's not what
winners are made of"  I couldn't have said it any better John  73
Tom W7WHY