[CQ-Contest] Re: [3830] VY1JA score and unQRT

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [3830] VY1JA score and unQRT
From: k0hb@juno.com (Hans Brakob)
Date: Mon Nov 3 15:51:05 1997
Jay wrote (on 3830)

> If you were one of the last 300 or so QSOs, be sure to thank those
> ops that had gotten me to make a commitment to be there for them.
> The rude ops had driven me QRT but my commitment required me to get
> back on the air.
>
> No promises for next year... If anyone wants to activate the Yukon
> from my station feel welcome.  I will not take this kind of stress
> again.

Jay,

Several years ago you were the station who gave me my first sweep
on SS Phone.  My most memorable memory of the "goodness" of contesters
was the fact that you took at least 4 or 5 long minutes to "stick with
me" until I got you in the log on a rapidly fading 20M band.

On the spot, without consulting with the Pope, I declared you a
Contesting Saint.

Since then I have gotten the impression that your participation is
from a sense of "duty", and not always for your own pleasure.
99.44% of all of us thank you, and hope that you don't quit.

But at the same time, you need to "have fun at it".  Here are some
thoughts (for what they're worth).

The only "standards" you have to meet are your own.  If some jerk
doesn't like your methods, Tough S--t!  He can go find another VY1/VE8
if he doesn't like how you operate.

If the pileup gets too unruly, go S&P for a while.  Award the
YT multiplier to some struggling new KF4xxx's or VE3xxx's who are getting

his/her first taste of contesting and give them some "bragging rights"
over the inhabitants of the "Top Ten" boxes.

It's just a game!  Hope to see you in two weeks!

73, de Hans, K0HB

~~~
   Observation the morning after the contest:

  "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention
   in human history -- with the possible exceptions of tequila or a
   borrowed Vibroplex key."
                                   --K0HB
~~~