[CQ-Contest] Various soapbox...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Various soapbox...
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat Nov 8 12:10:46 1997
At 09:55 PM 11/7/97 -0500, John Lash wrote:

>I send "?", shorthand for asking him to please repeat just his call (NOT
>his entire CQ, as so many do.)

..... (stuff deleted)

Hmmm.  I'm one of those.  My reasoning is that in SS, particularly on
Sundays, the station sending "?" will probably discover me to be a dupe
(particularly if he's a 2-radio type).  If I just send my call back (1/2
second) and we've already worked, that transmission is wasted.  If I send a
short CQ (4-5 seconds), then both the "?" guy and anyone else tuning will
know I'm soliciting calls.  Seems like it's in my interest to do it that
way.  Opinions?

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"