[CQ-Contest] Re: 1x1 Special Calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: 1x1 Special Calls
From: beaton@wintermute.co.uk (Alastair Beaton)
Date: Tue Nov 11 14:10:19 1997
OK, I know there's a difference between what IS and what SHOULD BE,
but are 1x1 calls really the best for special events?

Here in the UK, as most of you know, we have GB-prefixed calls for
special events - AND you can pick and choose a letter combo. We might
have:
GB4FGC - 4th Fish Gutting Championships
GB100STP - Centenary of Soft Toilet Paper
GB5SIP - Five Stuck in Phonebox
and so on.

The largely-meaningless single-letter calls are handed exclusively to
contesters, with the proviso that they use them in a certain number
of contests each year.

OK, at the moment we have a daft rule which changes the numeral of
your contest call each year (GM6V in '96; GM7V in '97, etc), but
we're hopeful this will cease soon.

Why not poke your 'powers that be' with sharp objects until you get
something similar...

73
Al, GM4BAP
GM7V is offering a special 'free holiday in the Seychelles with
GM4BAP'** incentive for stations to work us on all six bands.
** Offer applies only to YL ops who appeared in this year's Pirelli
Calendar.

 -
 ---