[CQ-Contest] DX in Sweepstakes!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] DX in Sweepstakes!
From: ka0rny@midusa.net (Nate Bargmann)
Date: Thu Nov 13 12:30:44 1997
Hi Randy.

> The end to the Sunday blues... just beam EU on 20m.
>
> All we have to do is figure out what section they are in.  I know -- we can
> even encourage DX activity by making them another section (for a nice round
> number of 80).  Even better, let's add DXCC countries as mults...
>
> Randy, K5ZD
>
> (Now I know what to put in the results write-up.)

I've read this thread since the beginning and have read all the
discussion.  Let's not make SS another DX 'test, don't we have enough
of those already?  For me the appeal of SS is that it involves all
U.S. states and territories and Canadian provices.  If DX is
encouraged as point contacts, I'm afraid the loud running stations
would focus on DX, then many of us low power guys with low wire
antennas may get ignored especially if individual countries counted
as one mult each.

Part of the appeal of SS is that if the perenial leaders
are to get more Q's then it is in everyone's interest to involve as
many casual ops in the US/VE in SS as possible.  ARRL's PINS award
and sweep coffee cups along with certificates for section leaders in
each category have done much to keep activity fairly high even during
the past suspot doldrums.  In short I think SS is truly unique
because of the extensive exchange and the limited geographic area
(consequently the limited pool of potential QSOs) the contest covers.

We already have three major DX contests for each mode annually and
Field Day allows DX contacts for point credit.  As it is currently
structured, SS is unique among the major operating events and I think
the ARRL would be wrong to tinker with a formula that is currently
working fairly well as I see it.

73, de Nate >>

     Packet   | KA0RNY @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM        | "If wires can be
     Internet | ka0rny@midusa.net                      | connected in two
     Location | Valley Center, KS USA EM17hs           | different ways,
             View yet another web page at:             | the first way
       http://homepage.netspaceonline.com/~ka0rny/     | blows the fuse!"