[CQ-Contest] Guest Operators

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Guest Operators
From: bschwerdlin@hlb.com (Bob Schwerdlin)
Date: Wed Nov 19 08:54:24 1997
I am 35 years old and have guest operated at many stations over the past 21
years of being licensed.  When you are younger... you can't afford the best
rig, best amps, higest location, or best antennas.  That's a fact.  I have,
for the last 10 years publicly stated that my station is always available
for other guest ops to come in and operate.  I think it's kind of like,
re-payment for my past experience at better, more well equiped stations.

I recently became friendly with a 16 year old, high school junior,
contester.  I see myself in him at his age.  I had the same desires for a
bigger station and better antennas and high power.  I enjoyed having him
over to guest operate in WW SSB.  My antennas are still being installed, so
my station is not up to it's full potential, yet.  But I should have
everything complete by this weekend, so I'll be ready for WW CW.  He will
be coming over to operate then as well.  My 2 ele 40M beam and TH6 up on
tower #1 and Mosley CL-33 on tower #2 will alway beat out a wire 50' long
and up only 25' high.  That's for sure.  He knows that and there is no
resentment what so ever.  So when he wants to come by and operate, I always
say, YES.

I think guest ops are a very real and important force in contesting.  Look
at Dave Patton, WI9WI, (ex. WO0G, WX3N etc... among others) for example.
He has never really had his own big station to operate from, but he guest
ops all over the place.  No one can deny his ability.  He is probably one
of the nations top 5 contesters.  Highly respected.  He started off in high
school and college and operated from everybody else's QTH.  Now he is
consistantly a winner.

Enough said.

73

... Bob, WG9L, V31RC, FP/WB9VLV