[CQ-Contest] When somebody busts your call?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] When somebody busts your call?
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Wed Nov 19 10:22:19 1997
> Even better than this is when the lid busts your call and you send it
> again and he simply says "QSL QRZ".  QSL what?  QSL that your an idiot
> and you still have my call wrong?  When this happens, I just dump my call
> in again.  Unless he sends/says my call correctly, I cant assume he has
> it correct.  I hope everyone who works me goes to the same pain to make
> sure I have their call correct.   If I dont send/say your call correctly,
> please make me do it.  I wont complain.

Yep.  It's mind-boggling that I would come back to a miscopied call
and the caller wouldn't bother to correct my mistake.  I think the
reason this is happening so much is that guys can't copy the code as
well as in the Old Daze -- maybe these folks are chasing packet spots
but really don't have any idea who they are working otherwise.

When answering stations I have mostly taken an approach I have seen
many JA stations take.  If I answer someone's CQ and he missends my
call, like N4KO 5nn14, then I say DE N5KO and nothing more.  At this
point I expect him to say something like N5KO 5nn14 and then I will
say something like 5nn04 (and *not* send my call again).

The QSO is pretty much over once you send your side of the exchange
because the DX guy has (in his mind) everything he needs to put you in
the log and move on to the next guy.  Therefore, don't send your side
of the exchange until he has your call right.

Naturally the other side of the story is that if you have a good
signal, you can probably just say DE N5KO 5nn04 and that will do the
job.  A corrolary:  do *not* say anything after the exchange, for
instance 5nn04 DE N5KO or 5nn04 UR CALL?.  Remember, in the DX
station's mind the QSO is over as soon as he gets the exchange, and he
will most likely press the "TU HC8N" button as soon as he hears 5nn04,
therefore transmitting on top of anything you say afterwards.

--Trey, N5KO

 -
 ---