No subject

Subject: No subject
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (kharker@cs.utexas.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 19 12:58:28 1997
Thus spoke Tom Osborne:

> Hi Jay.  I have the same problem here with people getting my call wrong.
>  When operating CW contests, I am constantly having people work me as
> W7WSY instead of W7WHY.  Most of the time I try to correct it, but lots
> of time it doesn't get done.  I'm with you, I should get credit for the
> contact, but the other stations shouldn't.
> Tom W7WHY

    The University of Texas Amateur Radio Club recently got a new callsign
for our club station.  The old call, W5EHM, had the exact problem to which
you are referring.  It kept getting copied as "W5ESM".  Something about all
those dits right in a row...  The new call N5XU is a lot better in that regard.

    We still had a lot of requests to confirm our 21 check this past
phone Sweepstakes, though.  I wonder how many people "heard" something
more "reasonable" and didn't ask for repeats...  hm...

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page

 -
 ---