[CQ-Contest] Contest Logs and QSLs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Logs and QSLs
From: k1am@ids.net (Jeff Bouvier)
Date: Wed Dec 10 21:11:30 1997
On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:26:27 -0000, you wrote:

>How many QSLs per hour can the awards checkers handle if they have to go to a
>web site per contact?  I bet it's a lot slower than scanning through a big pile
>of QSL cards.  I've seen Bill Kennamer and other ARRL field checkers at work at
>Dayton and Visalia.  They're pretty quick.  If they had to spend even one
>minute
>finding a server for a claimed callsign, downloading a file of calls and
>searching it for the QSO in question, it would be a lot slower than it is now.

<big snip>

        I may be wrong but I think the point that Pete was trying to
make is that many years ago the ARRL gave you credit for new countries
worked during ARRL contests. If they could do that back then with
paper logs it should be very simple to do with a log submission by
disk or e-mail. There is no need for anyone to go sniffing around
websites to check for qso's. I'm not a programmer but I would think it
would be quite simple for someone to come up with a program that would

crosscheck logs against the dxcc database that would spit out a list
of new countries for each submitted log.
        It is easier than ever for everyone to submit a log these
days. Remember the days of duping by hand. No, let's not go there. :-)
        Some people like to chase lots of awards and need the card.
That's fine. They can send for a card and still get credit for DXCC
with log crosschecking. Personally, when I started chasing 5BDXCC I
got the 100 countries per band and got carried away. I never stopped
sending for cards for each new country on all bands. You might call it

6BWAC (6 bands, 160-10, Worked All Countries). I now have over 300
confirmed on 80-10. Some guys have done the same plus the WARC bands.
YIKES, I deal with enough qsl cards.
        Maybe we should have WARC band contests where everyone has to
send in their logs via e-mail and the league can give us credit for
WARC band DXCC's  from the logs.   Flame suit on...... I'm outta here
        73, Jeff Bouvier K1AM  ex-K1IU