[CQ-Contest] K0M ARRL 10M contest Summary

Subject: [CQ-Contest] K0M ARRL 10M contest Summary
From: Fatchett.Mike@TCI.com (Fatchett, Mike)
Date: Mon Dec 15 12:32:53 1997
Prior to the contest I was disappointed at the solar flux decline.  I
was hoping that maybe we might see 100, but not this year.

I started on SSB with 82 Qso's in 29 minutes! Wow!  I jumped to CW to
see if I could continue the nice run and get some mults.  Finished the
first hour with 19 CW Q's and 3 more SSB Q's.  Nice surprise was LZ0A
calling me on CW.  He found me again on SSB late Sunday. Thanks for the
double!  Rest of the first night was spent searching and pouncing.  The
band was still open at 0429 when I had to leave.  I was happy with 250
Qso's.

Got back to the station and on the air at 1435z and the band was very
alive.  Was able run on and off till around 1630 when the band started
to open to the upper east coast.  Could not run on SSB so I tried CW at
1724.  Worked 77 stations between 1724 and 1805.  The next few hours
were 49, 40, 61, 56 and 64.  Managed to work 2 JA's at 2241 on CW.  Here
they come I thought and it was actually there they went!  The 2300 hour
was great.  A 135 hour which included a 15 minute break at the start of
the hour???  This was followed by a 94 hour.  Qrate showed that I had a
high rate of 185/hr in this time period.  This was a predominantly west
coast run.  Finished the day with  78 Q's in the 0100 hours and then the
band closed.  Went home to spend some family time with 1035 Qso's.

Got back to the station at 1400 and found the band in poor shape.  Not
many stations heard.  Rates were 18, 10?, and 45.  Had a tiny opening
into Europe at about 1600.  Worked I, HB and F  could not copy my number
from 4U1ITU or would of had another.  The band started to open well into
the upper East coast again at 1630.  Worked a few on CW and then Hit
SSB.  Worked 155 Q's from 1653-1753.  Unfortunately that was about it
for Sunday.  Sunday witnessed a couple of periods where the band was
nearly dead for about 30 minutes.  Could not decide which way to point
the upper antenna.  The majority of Sunday was spent pouncing on the
fresh South American stations.  Ended up with 1309 Qso's.  Was hoping
for around 1800.

Missed a bunch of easy close in stuff like NM and KS.  Heard them in
pileups but could never get them to call me.  Missed the majority of
VE's  VE4-VE8.  I did get a VE5 on CW.  Never had what I would call a
good Pacific opening or a good opening into the Midwest.  Surprises were
LZ0A calling me on both modes, EM1HO and V31PC.  Calling CQ endlessly is
sometimes useful!   Thanks to KL7RA for moving to CW for a Double!  I
should have done this more!

Top five areas worked:  CA-152, TX-111, CO-88, MI-82 and if you can
believe this LU with 74.  What happened to the Florida stations?

Had a great time.  Welcome back 10 meters!

73,

Mike
W0MU