[CQ-Contest] Coil calculations/Antenna Modeling

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Coil calculations/Antenna Modeling
From: k5yf@wt.net (Larry Johnson)
Date: Wed Dec 31 23:21:21 1997
I wasn't sure where the best place to post this question was, so am doing it
here as it is related to contesting (this is my sweepstakes and 10m
antenna). I'm redoing my Butternut HF6V and want to model it using EZNEC.
Several questions follow. Any input or advice will be most appreciated.
Please reply directly and if others want the info, I'll be glad to
summarize.

1. I can approximate the inductance of the base loading coils using the
number of turns and length of the coil, etc....that formula is in the hand
book. But is there any way to determine the Q based on the wire size (3/8
aluminum), number of turns, and size? I've been through the handbooks, but
haven't found the info (maybe I'm missing the obvious?). I don't have a
Qmeter and would like to be able to come up with a resistance value for the
coil.

2. A coil in free air is one thing, but these coils have AL tubes running
through them (since they are mounted around the mask. I have to believe that
will have some affect on the coil...similar to a core. Is this effect
significant enough to affect the antenna modeling, and if so, how do I
calculate it's effect on the coil. Again, I must be missing the obvious.

3. Lastly, need to clean and redo the antenna. Is there a good substitute to
the Butter It Not I can use for the contact/anti-seizure compound? Something
I might be able to find in my local Home Depot?

Thanks. 73 de Larry.

Larry Johnson, K5YF
Houston, TX
e-mail: k5yf@wt.net