[CQ-Contest] Jan. VHF rover

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Jan. VHF rover
From: dlevans@hsonline.net (Daniel L. Evans)
Date: Wed Dec 10 03:08:59 1997
>To: vhf list
>From: "Daniel L. Evans" <dlevans@hsonline.net>
>Subject: Jan. VHF rover
>
>Hello All
>
>I'm planning on operating as a rover in the Jan. VHF SS.  I'm new to VHF
contesting so I thought I would post a few questions.  I would welcome any
constructive suggestions.  I'll have a co-op (n9rmj) for assistance, but
this will be primarily a one band event for us (2 meter ssb, 160watts).
Antenna will be a small (5 ele) homebrew yagi on a 15 foot mast. I can
probably bring along an fm rig for 70cm, would it be worthwile?  I had
hoped to get a 6 meter rig before the contest, but no such luck, I'm sure
it would have really helped our score! We will be operating from grids
EM78, EM68, EM69, and EM79.  There are some significant hilltops available
to operate from, so I hope we will have pretty good coverage!  I've already
tried out a couple of "prime" locations in the CQWW-SSB,  and plan to try
more in the ARRL 10 Meter contest this weekend (practise!).

>Now the questions!
>
>I know these grids are not rare, are there any other rovers that plan to
activate this area?

>How much vhf contest activity is there in this region? (southern Indiana,
between Louisville KY, and Indianapolis, IN)  The reason I ask is I just
got on 2 meter ssb a few months ago, and haven't heard much activity.  Of
course, with my antenna restrictions I have a pretty dismal station (which
is why I plan to go "rovering").

>Are there any contest groups or clubs in the area?  Should we start one?
hi hi.

>Does anyone ever have trouble with people wondering why you are parked and
putting up antennas?  I plan to operate from a couple of puplic access
sites  (state parks, etc.).

>I'm trying to obtain an old laptop for logging, what's your favorite
logging software (dos based)?

>Hoping to give points to as many of you "big guns" as possible,
>
>73, de Dan, N9RLA
Dan L. Evans [N9RLA]........EM78
CQ_DE_dlevans@hsonline.net

Remove the cq_de_ to email me, I hate SPAM!