[CQ-Contest] TS-940S Hiccups

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TS-940S Hiccups
From: W1HIJ@contesting.com (W1HIJ--Bill)
Date: Tue Dec 9 13:47:51 1997
Hi Gang,

What with all the 940 experience out there, I'm hoping for some ideas or
suggestions:

Very occasionally while in QSO (CW), I'll get a report that my frequency
will shift a small amount for a character or 2, and then return to the
original frequency. It was described this morning as a "burp" or a
"hiccup". I suspect that the real situation is that for those 1 or 2
characters, the xmtr is using the frequency set by the RIT. I further
suspect that the cause is some interaction between the rig and the computer
querying it for frequency info.

I've had only two or three reports over the past year, but they are
unsettling in that they come from people I know (and work often) and
respect. If there is a fix (other than not using RIT), I'd really like to
implement it. Here's the run down on the gear.

TS940SA/T, S/N= 7,5xx,xxx -- AT never used
IF-10B computer interface
IF-232C Level Converter

386/387 processor running at 33 MHz, Win 3.1 or DOS 6.22, SCSI hard drive

Software is WJ2O, V3.46 or TRLog 6.16 (the computer isn't doing anything
else except for the DXCluster when it's on)

Rig connected through Serial 2 (4800 baud) for frequency data. Serial 1 is
DXCluster, keying (in TRLog) is LPT1.

Typical CW speed in QSO is 22 to 25 WPM

I can not remember ever getting the report while using TRLog, but I only
use that for contests and it's unlikely that the report would be given
unless it was causing a real problem in that environment.

As a general rule, if I have the RIT on, the shift is rarely more than 250
Hz, almost always down (that's the way my ears work better, age and scuba
diving take a toll). I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've
used XIT, so that's never on.

Anybody experience the same symptoms?

TIA, 73,
Bill