[CQ-Contest] Expanding Comm Ports

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Expanding Comm Ports
From: k4oj@ij.net (k4oj)
Date: Fri Jan 2 00:39:14 1998
I know - not again...well this time my wife bought me (or will be buying
me) a Christmas present of an expansion board for the computer so that I
can have more comm ports and do more neato stuff with the computer....ya
know - networking/packet/rig interfacing....neato keen stuff.

My question:

It seems that the cards that are out there boil down to ones using a 16C650
UART (whatever that is) or a 16C550 UART - I gather the 650's are better
since they cost more...I want to  get a card which will add ports for
contesting applications and since the 650 is almost twice as much mobney as
the 550 I don't know if this is something I need to adress or not - mebbe
for the kind of stuff I am doing the 550 is good enough and I can add more
ports for less....

I currently have a 486/MX Dell optiplex machine and am using Windows 95 on
it - although I use the contesting software straight from the C: prompt,
not through a Win95 window.

Also, I only have one card in the machine - a sound card, so I could have
room for more cards....since adding four ports seems really cool (I would
go from two to six) is it better to have two cards with two on each or to
have a single card with four on it (the money isn't much different but the
angle of possibly having a failure on one card and still having the other
going interests me....as always a pessimist!

...should I get the 650's or will the 550's do it for me?

Thanks in advance, gang....from a QCCAO (Quarter Century Computer Appliance
Operator)

73- see you in the NAQP!

 de

Jim White, K4OJ
k4oj@ij.net
a proud member of the Florida Contest Group
...visit our website @ http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm