[CQ-Contest] New 10 Mtr antenna

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New 10 Mtr antenna
From: w0etc@ix.netcom.com (Larry Lindblom)
Date: Sun Jan 4 17:24:19 1998
During the 10 Mtr contest I discovered I have a 10 mtr antenna that I
didn't realize I have.  To briefly digress My IC 775 came back from some
warranty work about 2 hours before the start of the contest.  I
frantically disconnected the TS 930,  hooked up the IC 775, and
reconfigured NA for the IC-775.  Everything appeared to be working fine
and SWR checked out at 1.2/1.

Then it was time fr some contesting.  Things started great with some
good runs.  But after 2 1/2 hours and almost 300 Qs I notice I was on my
160 antenna instead of the stacked TH-7s.  The 160 antenna is a phased
array of 4 sloping 1/4 wave verticals with elevated radials using a
Comtek coupler. If the SWR hadn't of been so good (Identical to the TH-7
stack) I would of noticed something was wrong.

Makes me wonder how many more Qs I could of made if I'd been on the
correct antenna.  But, it also makes me believe  the old saying " when
10 Meters is good all U need to do is load up the bed springs".  Maybe
I'll try that next year, but can anyone tell me if double or queen bed
springs are the better antenna??.

73 from IA
w0etc, Larry L

P.S.  I wonder if we'll now see KF4HK advertising the new duo band (160
& 10 Mtr) Comtek phased array coupler  ;-)