[CQ-Contest] Alpha Travel Case

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Alpha Travel Case
From: N6ZZ@aol.com (N6ZZ)
Date: Tue Jan 6 08:51:37 1998
In a message dated 98-01-06 01:44:05 EST, tjwall@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
writes:

<< Anybody know a source for a travel case suitable for an 87A ? Inside
 dimensions approx 22x22x10 inches. Need something before ARRL SSB. I've
 seen some in the $200 range but am looking to spend much less! Tnx es 73
 de Tom K2TW   tjwall@worldnet.att.net

Tom....

If memory serves, the 87A is about the same dimensions as an Alpha 76 series.
I've hauled 76's all over the world for various contest operations.

You MUST remove the transformer before transporting this rascal.  If you
don't, you run the risk of the transformer tearing itself loose from the
chassis and hurting your amp in a most profound manner.

The best way I've found to carry an Alpha that has had its transformer removed
is by using a couple of the hard-sided Samsonite suitcases.  I think it's the
29-inch version that is the maximum size accepted by airlines as checked
baggage.  Put the chassis in one, and the transformer in the other.  I've
drilled holes in the suitcase used to transport the transformer, so that I can
bolt the transformer into the case so it doesn't rattle around.  Use your
clothes as packing material in both suitcases...you'll still have room for the
other bits and pieces of equipment you need for your contest station.

Other advantages:  By using ordinary-looking suitcases, you look like an
ordinary tourist, which minimizes the possibility of being singled out for
customs inspection at some foreign airport.  Also, these suitcases have wheels
on one end....makes hauling them around MUCH easier.  I can pull two suitcases
that are loaded to the 70-pound U.S. checked-baggage maximum and carry a
40-pound carry-on bag over my shoulder, and I don't even pump iron!

Samsonite has several models that can be used in this rather unique
application, but some of the pulling mechanisms make them weigh more, which
reduces the amount of payload (consisting of important radio stuff) that you
can pack into them.  The Samsonite suitcases that are most appropriate for
this operation are called 29 Cartwheels.  They run about $100 each at discount
stores.

And I have no affiliation with Samsonite, although I should get a commission
from them for the number of times I've recommended their use for hauling
electric radios around the world.

73 - Phil, N6ZZ