[CQ-Contest] Alpha Travel Case-antennas,too!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Alpha Travel Case-antennas,too!
From: W3CF@aol.com (W3CF)
Date: Tue Jan 6 19:05:41 1998
Boy this thread sure beats the heck out of deleting QSL requests and
Playing...eh...working yourself threads. Simple but meaningfull to those that
partake of the DXpedition craze.
Perhaps its me but I just make double sure the transformer is locked down
solid where it was designed to go...add a few drops of Loc-tight (TM) thread
glue so it doesn't back off enroute, pull the tube(s), rewrap it in its
original shipping boxes (1 inside the other) and fill all spaces with the
LARGE bubble wrap, then check it as luggage. I have ruptured disks at L4-L5
and L5-S1 and if I want to operate the contest I have to check everything
heavy. Thats why its always best to bring the YL along...4 checked pieces
allowed :-)  she has two pieces that contain the clothing plus 1 carry on
(tubes) and you have 2 check in pieces of radio gear (rig/amp) and 1 carry on
(Laptop)...Sometimes you can get away with 2 carry-ons each..just depends on
if the attendant is in a good mood or not....

BTW...antennas can be checked pretty easy. I use a DOUBLE alpine ski bag (2
pair of skis - $48.00 USD for a good one)....A TH-6 fits very nicely... tho
you do have to cut and sleeve the reflecter element (no problem).... After
taping the aluminum together to prevent rattle I add several Antiguan Olympic
Ski Team lazer printed tags to the outside of each bag and get no hassles at
all. Thank goodness for the Jamaican Olympic Bobsled Team :-)

73 es DX
Doug W3CF
FRC
V26DX @ V26B / WP2Z CQ Phone 97