[CQ-Contest] listening on one frequency

Subject: [CQ-Contest] listening on one frequency
From: aalaun@ibm.net (Fred Laun K3ZO)
Date: Sun Jan 11 10:53:27 1998
KG5U wrote:

>* Have you ever just left your HF radio on one freq and listened to what
>passed across it in the course of a day?

I do it all the time with my bedside Sony 2010.  Not such a good idea on
SSB, as people are always a little off frequency and you need to tweak the
dial frequently (unless you tune in a rare DX station's pile-up and listen
to that).  But it's great to put the receiver on CW and let it purr softly
in the background while you take a nap or read a book.  Not a good idea
while catching 40 winks in the CQWW though!  I heard a CE come up on the 80
meter frequency I was tuned to and dashed to the shack to work him, thereby
ruining the vital R&R time.  Had to take time off during the European run
as a result.  Nowadays during contests the bedside radio stays firmly off!

73, Fred