[CQ-Contest] M/S octopus question

Subject: [CQ-Contest] M/S octopus question
From: w5xd@alum.mit.edu (Wayne E. Wright)
Date: Thu Jan 15 17:45:22 1998
I was a bit surprised to find in the responses to a question
I asked about multi-single rules that they are designed to
outlaw the octopus. I fail to see why the "one signal at
a time" rule wasn't good enough.

But that's not my question. The question is that
there have been requests to provide
octopus functionality in logging software. At least
for RTTY and standard LAN networking, its possible
implement a pure software "octopus". (Because
there's no separate keyer or mic that might bypass
a software lock).

The question is, should such requests be implemented?
It makes sense for the one operator/two radio crowd
as they have only the one-signal-at-a-time rule.
But the M/S rules, and the apparent violation of
the spirit of the rules make me wonder whether the
software ought to do this.

Wayne, W5XD