[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest V1 #376

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest V1 #376
From: desmith@Telalink.Net (Doug Smith)
Date: Mon Jan 19 01:33:24 1998
>Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Was that REALLY W9WI on 3.795???

Since someone has obviously been talking about me<g> Yes, it was
really W9WI.

At least in my copy of the regs, 3.794 is still a legal frequency for
LSB emissions, and to the best of my knowledge, it's not one of the
frequencies reserved for the emergency in W1/W2/VE2.  Not being on the
East Coast, and not having had a real 75m antenna until about 2 years
ago, I'm not particularly conversant on the do's & don'ts of the
3750-3800 segment.  I've had successful (and unjammed) domestic
non-contest QSOs in the 3790-3800 segment before, and figured that as
long as I listened to make sure the frequency was unoccupied and
inquired whether it was in use before CQing, it was OK to use.
Obviously, that's not the case.

If someone had identified themselves and asked, *in a civil manner*,
for me to QSY, I would have done so.  That did not happen.  (at least,
not for about 90 minutes) After an incident in phone SS a couple of
years ago when a jammer decided to follow me around the 75m band,
making the entire band useless, I have lost all tolerance for
unidentified jammers.  *I WILL NOT QSY FOR A STATION THAT REFUSES TO
IDENTIFY ITSELF*.  I attempted to work the first few stations that
tried to call.  (one, I would learn 60 minutes later, was attempting
to politely ask me to QSY.  If the jammers had shut up, VE3POS would
have succeeded and I would have gone elsewhere.)

I left the machine going & broke open a homebrew project I've been
working on.  Every few minutes, I would try to work a caller (or try
to find out what VE3POS was trying to tell me...) but the lids would
make it obvious they weren't going to let me copy anyone.  Since
QSYing for unidentified jammers simply encourages more of the same, I
simply turned the CQer, and the soldering iron, back on.  Finally,
after about 90 minutes of this, they tired & the jamming stopped.
VE3POS succeeded in his civil request, I QSYed, worked a handful of
QSOs on 160, & shut down.

73 Doug
(who's really rather surprised how much of a ruckus this raised!)

Douglas E. Smith  W9WI/4                desmith@Telalink.net.xxx
1385 Old Clarksville Pike               (preferred for long files)
Pleasant View, TN  37146-8098 USA              -or-
(615) 746-5205                          72777.3143@compuserve.com.xxx
                                        (preferred for time-critical info)
(.xxx added to end of email address to hopefully foil spammers)