[CQ-Contest] CT and W95/DOS (long)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CT and W95/DOS (long)
From: jmellis@ihug.co.nz (Martin Ellis)
Date: Tue Jan 20 00:54:45 1998
Good morning,
Trey asked how can we stop W95 from running...

The experiences I have had with W95 and DOS are a little different
from the recent posts on this subject.

I use CT v8 on on old 286 computer at my station; and a P133 with
W95 at the home QTH. After the contest I bring back the CT .bin
files to edit and print out on the home computer.
The comments that follow relate to the P133 computer running W95.

Using W95 you have the choice to reboot to DOS7, or to run CT
in a DOS window.  The main differences arise from the memory
management arrangements.

1. Re-boot to DOS
-----------------
In W95 click Start/Shutdown/Restart in MSDOS mode.
I find CT386.exe and CT286.exe will not run.
When I run <CT86 ARRL10M>, CT reports
"1547 calls read.
"CT: memory left for 800 more contacts."

2. Use DOS window
-----------------
While running W95, Click the MSDOS icon on the taskbar.
type cd\CT
type <CT386 ARRL10> and CT reports
"1547 calls read.
"CT: memory left for 79137 more contacts."

Carry on with logging the contest- or WRITELOG etc.

If CT stalls, or you need to quit with Alt-X, Y,
it returns to the C:\CT prompt, not to Windows.
Simply type <CT386 ARRL10 -now> to re-enter the contest log.

When you are done with CT, type <exit> at the C:\ prompt,
and your W95 desktop appears instantly without the longwinded
reboot cycle.

To examine the settings of the MSDOS window, right click the
icon, click properties and select the memory tab.
In my case, conventional memory is Auto, Initial environment is Auto,
XMS memory is auto, and DPMI memory is Auto.  You may need to try
adjusting these for various DOS programs you wish to run, but
start with Auto settings.
Select the Screen tab, and you can choose between Full Screen
and Window.  I use Window, because you can see your W95 desktop
below the CT Window. So it is possible to minimise CT and run
some other programs at the same time. (DXTelnet, Navigator etc).

So there seem to be an advantage in letting W95 run while
you are using CT, and more contacts available.

Regards,
Martin ZL1ANJ