[CQ-Contest] NAQP NAMES

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP NAMES
From: k4oj@ij.net (k4oj)
Date: Tue Jan 20 16:34:37 1998
Bob AA0CY wrote:

I used RENO (as in RENO NEVADA) in the SSB NAQP, but
several people said "Thanks for Nevada, Bob." (One even said
"Robert." I guess he had a CD-ROM callbook activated.) I wonder
what name they logged. Still got a few double-takes ("Need your
name, not your city.") Oh, well. Guess that's the reason I stick to
"Bob" during the CW parties.

Interesting observation, Bob...

For years now I have been using assorted nicknames in the NAQP and NAS
contests...it is interesting to see what comes back, with the advent of TR
log a new breed has come out - I can tell who is running it by the
response...a certain VE7 always says hello to Buzz [as in Ligthyear]
(despite the fact that I just sent him somethin else), guess he is still
running the saem database he built right after he bought it and I was
sending Buzz that weekend.

...inquiring entrants will try and pry them out of me just prior to the
contests starting...my response as given this past NAQP CW to N5KO was,
hang on for 15 seconds, and I will send it to you (it was 15 seocnds tyil
the contest began :-))

I have been criticized by N6TJ and many others for using cutise names, told
that all I do is cslow down myself and the other guy - is this any
different than dis-encouraging a unique QSO?????????

....if I were to send Jim would the guy on the other end really be copying
it or just assuming it was Jim.....one of these days I might try that
name....mebbe

k4oj

x-bubba, spock, and many many others........