[CQ-Contest] Simple definitions

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Simple definitions
From: w5xd@alum.mit.edu (Wayne E. Wright)
Date: Fri Feb 27 10:46:10 1998
<< Single Op:  One radio..... period.
 Single Op-Two radios:  One op, two radios.
 Multi Op-Single Radio:  As many operators as you want, one radio...period.
 Multi Op-Two radios: As many operators as you want, two radios...period.
 Multi Op-Multi radios: Use 'em if you've got 'em.

The distinction between the first two is not so simple.

Does a second receiver count as a second radio?
What about a WWV-only receiver?
Only one received signal in the ham bands keeps me in the one-radio category?
Does use of an FT-1000 automatically put me in the two-radio category?

Makes for a pretty brain-dead category (in my opinion) if multiple
receivers puts me in a different category than a single receiver. And if we
buy that argument and let multi-receiver stay in the first category, then
its going to be real hard to write a set of rules that puts anybody at all
in the single-op-two-radio category.

If what we're trying to do is recategorize those folks that are capable of
carrying on two QSOs at once, but with only one signal on the air, then
write the rule just that way. Say that you can't claim any QSO that wasn't
finished and QSLed before starting the next one. And write the rules so you
have to log the start time AND stop time of each QSO. (If you're as old as
I am, you can remember the precedent and already have log entries that do
have TWO times in them per QSO...)

By the way, I am NOT one of those people capable of maintaining two
simultaneous QSOs for hours at a time. But I have a lot of respect for
those that can.

Wayne