[CQ-Contest] Locate a Commercial Aircraft in Flight

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Locate a Commercial Aircraft in Flight
From: aalaun@ibm.net (Fred Laun K3ZO)
Date: Tue Mar 3 17:13:10 1998
Not exactly contest-related, but I thought it might interest some on this
reflector.

Let's say you're listening on your aircraft radio and hear a particular
aircraft ID himself.  If it's a commercial aircraft, N6CZG has pointed out
to me that you can get that flight's current actual location at the
following website:

http://flight.thetrip.com/flightstatus/majorair.html

Note that scheduled commercial airliners ID with their flight numbers, not
their aircraft tail numbers.

Also useful if you want to see the instantaneous progress of a flight which
someone you are to pick up is on.  Then you know exactly when you have to
leave for the airport.

Sorry, it only works for airliners whose departure and arrival points are
both within the continental USA.

73, Fred