[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest V1 #433

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest V1 #433
From: kalepa@maui.net (kalepa@maui.net)
Date: Sun Mar 8 20:42:54 1998
K7SS  (my contest guru, who showed me how to contest back in
'82, working a pile-up and breaking it into shoe-sizes, not
call areas) prompted me to write.

I haven't contested seriously in years and the ARRL contest
was a fun start.  In working a pile-up, I found myself
listing the tails, usually 3 or 4 and working them in a row
and IDing sometimes after the 3rd for 4th contact, assuming
they had my call.  (I know I don't call someone unless I
have their call.)  Perhaps it's a wrong assumption...  Also,
when I took down the tail, sometimes I'd come back with only
the prefex, i.e.:
"KH6T, Contest!"
"blah, blah, 2 November India, November India"
"2 November India, 59 Kilo"
"W2, Whiskey 2 November India, 59 NY"
"Whiskey 2, thanks, QRZ?"

I found myself sending a lot more thank yous than serious
contesters would approve of, however, it breaks the tension
for me and gives me a nano-second to rest.    I started the
contest using a computer logging program (first time during
a contest) and it was horrible -- my rate was about 3
Q's/minute.  I switched over to paper logging and am now
about to type in all my hand written contacts.  Does it ever
get easier????

And those on the east coast on Sunday working Europe on 20:
yes, I was getting through via longpath as I couldn't get
you on the back of your beam.

The ARRL contest was fun.  Looking forward to a serious
effort for CQWW!

Aloha,
Helen, KH6T
(with The Solar-Powered Kilowatt from Maui)