[CQ-Contest] Two letter calls !! {:<(

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Two letter calls !! {:<(
From: k4no@ix.netcom.com (Greg Richard)
Date: Thu Mar 12 19:34:15 1998
Paul E. Knupke, Jr. wrote:

> > This young fellow ( I THINK KC5AJX is young) is taking some pretty
> > heavy heat now on this issue of his call sign length.  I would suspect
> > he's got the message.  Let's not poison him, and treat him in a way
> > that causes him to become a contest hater.  At the very least lets
> > be encouraging in a positive way.

I think alot of newer contestors assume that the DX station is taking
the
"last two" when that's all they hear the DX station come back.

If there are several stations calling at the same time, all a DX station
might be able to pull out is 1/2/3 letters and then the assumption he's
taking only the "last two".  If the pile up is huge, the DX station
might
be grasping for anything he can pull out especially on SSB.

This would be confusing to the newer contestors who HEAR the DX station
asking for FULL CALLS but answering ANY GROUP of letters he can pull out
of the pile.

Having never been on the DX side of a pile up, I can only imagine how
intense it could be for 48 hrs.  I would think that having a long
call (and average signal) would be a good way to get through a pileup
If you drop you callsign 2x, everybody else is listening while your
last 2 or 3 letters are being transmitted.

When I was KC4ZV, the phonetics were MUCH longer than K4NO but I think
I had an easier time in a pile up with KC4ZV cause it took much
longer to say and got me out of the 2-3 second burst of guys calling
at the same time.

Full calls only please

Greg K4NO