[CQ-Contest] A bit more from M8M

Subject: [CQ-Contest] A bit more from M8M
From: k1dg@ix.netcom.com (k1dg@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Mar 15 10:57:25 1998
Some reports from M8M ("Mucho Ocho Macho", per K5MM)

A lot of people have asked me for signal reports from "over
there". Here's
what I wrote down during a few band sweeps.

Remember, these are one-shot observations, and conditions
naturally vary
during the day. So don't get too upset if you were weak when
I heard you,
or too boastful if you were loud. You may have been louder in
Italy or
Finland or Brazil. Your mileage may vary. But wherever I
operate in the
next contest, I'll be louder than you, so don't even think
about stealing
my frequency.

0030Z Sunday 40M

7165 W3LPL 9
7168 K3LR +10-15
7178 KB1SO 9
7180 K1AR +20 (at K1EA)
7193 K1RX 9
7202 W2PV +20 (at K2TR)
7209 W1N 9  (at K1KP)
7210 KC1XX +20
7214 N2RM +10-15

13Z Sunday 20M

14150.4 K1KI 9
151.9 W3LPL 9
154.0 IT9STX 9 (how'd he get in there?)
154.9 W4MYA 8
155.5 W1FJ 7 buried in QRM (at W1KM)
157.3 K3LR +10
158.3 N3RS +15
161.0 K2WK +10
162.5 KC1XX 9
164.1 W2PV 9
165.9 K1RO 9
167.8 KV1W 8
171.2 N2RM 9 (on a perfectly clear freq sounding much louder)
180.3 W9JA +10
183 W1VE 8
201 K5ZD 9
317 KB1SO 10/9

1330 Z Sunday 15M

21201.0 N2RM +10 (1st station heard both mornings, and most
consistent)
202.7 KC1XX 9
205.0 K3LR +5
207.9 KQ2M 9
211 W2PV 9
213 W4MYA 8-9
216 K2BU +5
219 K1RO 9 to +5
221 W1FJ +20
224 N2A +5
224 N4BP 7
227 K1KI 9
236 W3BGN 9
245 W9JA 6
246 N6BV 7
263 K3ANS +5
294 K1AR 9  (later peaked up to +20 and was loudest)

Other recollections...VE1ZZ is as loud as you think on
160...no, louder.
W1FJ/KM is as loud as you think on 80. So is W1FV, with his
short verticals.
W1N/K1KP's tribander on a small suburban lot peaked up on 15
and was at one
point the loudest signal on the band. WX0B/5 was the loudest
guy from down
there. I think I worked more PA stations than any other
state. And they all
came in bursts. Could it be...oh, I don't know...packet?

73,

Doug K1DG
k1dg@contesting.com