[CQ-Contest] Re: UBN solutions USA/USA QSO's

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: UBN solutions USA/USA QSO's
From: aa4ga@contesting.com (Lee Hiers, AA4GA)
Date: Thu Mar 19 03:23:48 1998
On 17 Mar 98, Dale Jones K5MM wrote:

>  Re:  Suggestion for a solution to BIG GUN W's not logging other W's,
>       and being called a lid for not doing so.

Apparently K5MM takes exception to my use of the word "lid", which
means a poor operator, to describe someone engaging in poor
operating practices.

I haven't mentioned the lid by callsign in any public postings on
this subject and haven't seen his callsign mentioned publicly.  I
cc:'ed the lid on the email I originally sent to K3EST that
addressed my concern.  So, no-one should take offense at my using the
word "lid" unless you got private email from me identifying you as
that lid.

>  Isn't it interesting that AA4GA's suggestion for a solution to the
>  US Big Guns not logging US callers in CQ-WW (for zone Credit) is to
>  PENALIZE the other guy (The BIG GUN in his example).  What a bunch
>  of B.S.

The status quo is to penalize the LITTLE GUN - why don't you consider
that B.S.?  After all, in my case the BIG GUN is the one who didn't
log me.  We definitely worked:  I called him saying "AA4GA for the
mult"; he worked me, I thought everything was fine.  It was my last
QSO in the contest...I remember the contact.  The multiplier was
removed from MY log - why should that be acceptable?

> To penalize the US opetator for not logging another US operator
> will drive him to NOT WORK ANY other US station.

It is better for the guy to not work US stations than to work them
and not log them.

> In a "carrot and stick" incentive program, sticks obviously don't
> work very well in an optional/hobby activity like ham radio
> contesting.

So you advocate elimination of all penalties in contesting?

> All 40 CQ zones in the world is available to every American ham to
> work WITHOUT working ONE other American-based call sign.

True enough, but please tell me how to get the A_/K/N/W multiplier
without working a US station.  The multiplier in this contest is
Zones PLUS Countries.

>  It would certainly be "progressive" to consider a positive solution
>  FIRST, as Gary K7FR suggested in his posting.

<SLICE>

> So, I do not agree with Gary K7FR's suggestion of providing for
> points to be earned by US guys working other US guys, but do like
> his idea of a positive (encouraging) solution suggestion.

<DICE>

>  Without defending the Big Gun for not logging you, trying to figure out
>  some penalty for him not doing so doesn't cut it.  That'll just drive
>  him away.

I don't agree with giving US-US QSOs any points in CQWW either,
that's why I made several alternative suggestions in my post, only
one of which mentioned a penalty.  Instead of fixating on the one
possibility that I listed that mentioned a penalty, how do you feel
about the other ideas, and what is your suggestion for a "positive"
solution?

I have heard other US operators say they don't log US stations in
this contest, and I have seen other US operators actually work US
stations and not log them.  Yes, usually it's stations that probably
don't realize US-US Qs don't count for anything, but why assume
that?  Why not just log everyone you work?  And I operate in
multi-op situations a lot, so I realize that it's a PITA to work
zero-point Qs.

And, just for the record, I support corporal punishment and capital
punishment, although I consider both types inappropriate for contest
violations! ;-)

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers - AA4GA