[CQ-Contest] TS-870 for contesting?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TS-870 for contesting?
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Fri Mar 20 11:12:07 1998
At 08:35 PM 3/19/98 -0500, W4AN wrote:

>Anyone on here using a TS-870 for contesting?  If so, I dont see how.

>SNIP
>
>1.  The front end falls apart with loud signals on the band.  If you have
>ever experienced a Icom IC-745 or IC-740 on 160 meters in the 160 contest
>than you know what this one sounds like.
>
>2.  There is no RX antenna jack!  How can you make a near top of the line
>radio with IF DSP and not put a jack on the back of it for an external
>receive antenna?

I have an old IC740 and I agree the 740 is like a Chinese fire drill on 160.
But I use it on 17 and 12 where the preamp make the real weak sigs pop out
of the mud.  I think you can rig a receiving antenna on the 740 by using the
accessory section, but its not "plug and play ...

I remember getting logs from several guys using the TS850 and especially
from one prominent UK contester who said the 850 was impossible on CW and
not even in the ballpark on SSB (on 160 or 80).  Too bad they did not
correct this in the new version.

Dave K4JRB