[CQ-Contest] Major Changes to Field Day Rules

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Major Changes to Field Day Rules
From: km0l@tfs.net (Steve Lufcy)
Date: Sat Mar 21 18:11:21 1998
Rick et al-
At our class 1A FD our hf station is about 90% cw ( last year we made 1200
cw and 200 ssb Q's) and the lower class licensees are not able to run it.
They get their experience and practice running the vhf/uhf station much
like the novice/tech station does at 2A and above stations. We have at
least two guy's who hold no-code tech licenses who are upgrading to general
because of the experience they got and saw at our FD. Hopefully they will
be ready to "step up" to the hf "competition station" this year. However ,
if the uhf/vhf station causes us to have to change catagories and compete
in class 2A, we would likely keep the uhf/vhf station off the air so that
we can remain competitive (I know, it's not a contest but that is the part
of FD I like and our motivation to keep at it year after year). If we keep
the vhf/uhf on the air we would no longer be competitive, and thus would
lose our motivation.
These are my thoughts. I have no problem with the rules changing, but they
need to be changed equally for all the participants. Thank you, Rick and
the others who have responded, for your thoughts. CU in the next "test".
73 de KM0L Steve in KC, K0GQ class 1A MO (in FD)